On Your Marks, Get Set!
From the moment you leave the starting blocks, your sporting ability can be affected by science.
How do people balance, and what makes them fall over? What happens when a ball bounces, and why do balls have different surfaces? How is friction useful in sport and how do we use science to protect us from injury?
Watch plastic cups loop-the loop, and try to spot the trick in the game of crazy cricket. Dare you sit on a seat of nails? How fast is your reaction time? This exciting and interactive show uses lots of audience involvement to make you think about sport as you never have before. Be prepared to limber up and join in for this show with lots of audience involvement.
45 or 60 minute versions available
7-11 year olds
Families or mixed age groups
Festivals and events
We will need the venue to provide
Two long tables
"...everyone praised your genuine and infectious enthusiasm for science..." Assistant Head Teacher
Key Stage 2
- Gravity pulls objects towards the Earth
- Friction and air resistance slow things down or stops them from moving
Key Stage 2
After watching the show Key stage 2 pupils should:
- Understand that science can help us to play sports better and safer
- Recognise that the position of centre of gravity is crucial for stability
- Understand that objects can be be made to rotate faster or slower by changing their distance from the centre of rotation
- Know that solids transmit forces
- Understand that impacts can be reduced by spreading them over time, distance or area
Science Made Simple
The STEM Directory is provided as a service to support you in finding enrichment opportunities. The activities are offered by external providers and are not endorsed by STEM Learning. We are not responsible for their content or delivery.
|Published||26 February 2020|
|Last modified||23 September 2021|
|Nature of scheme||In-school visit|
|Subject(s)||Cross curricular, Engineering, Science, Biology, Physics, Practical work, Demonstrations|
|Running times||1-4 hours|
For your Science Made Simple show day, you can have up to three performances of the show for £590+VAT, exclusive of travel.