Design an Information System
This activity, from the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), introduces students to how we see communications developing to help others.
The resource is designed so that students will:
• Identifying problems for a specific task
• Use various methods to research a problem
• Explore solutions
The role of smart sensors in our everyday lives is becoming increasingly fundamental. The Smart Sensor Communications topic focuses on what smart sensors are, how they are being used today and how they can be innovative in the future. We are surrounded by systems that convey information but is everyone able to access the information?
This activity introduces students to methods of looking at specific problems, use the research and knowledge gained to find solutions to the problem and to allow students to explore solutions, however improbable they may seem.
The activity is supported by:
• The design task worksheet challenging students to design an information display system for use in school, which can be used by people with disabilities
• An activity sheet exploring the input-process-output sequence of events
• An exploration of system diagrams
• A presentation giving examples of information systems
Related activities can be found here.