Teaching practical science: physics NE706 / B21
Online, self-paced course. Participants can join and start this course at any time after the advertised date. It is essential that students studying physics are given the opportunity to practice and embed understanding of practical skills in preparation for the assessment of their learning.
This online course allows you to explore the relationship between theoretical concepts and practical work, challenging you to think about what is happening in the classroom and what your students are learning through practical work in physics. You’ll develop and share creative ways of teaching practical physics with approaches that are applicable to a range of curricula, for example GCSE required practicals and other practical syllabuses for 14-16 year old students.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- practical work for 14-16 year olds for the following key topics: electric circuits, radiation and waves
- contextualising practical work in physics to the everyday environment
- how progression in practical work impacts on students’ learning
- assessment of learning through practical work
- approaches to teaching practical science that can be applied to other topic areas
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- improve your confidence in delivering and evaluating teaching for practical skills in physics for 14-16 year olds
- define effective learning outcomes for practical work in physics
- reflect on the effectiveness of practical activities on every students’ learning
- design progression and assessment approaches within practical work
- collaborate with colleagues to share and critique ideas for teaching practical science
|Teaching practical science: physics||03 January 2022||00:00-00:00|
FutureLearn terms and conditions: This course is hosted on the FutureLearn social learning platform and you will need to create an account if you do not already have one.
In addition to STEM Learning Terms and Conditions, by booking on this course you are consenting to FutureLearn’s Terms and Conditions for Invited Learners. By booking onto this course, you agree that your information will be held by FutureLearn and National STEM Learning Centre as data controllers in common, and that by joining the course on FutureLearn your progress will be monitored by STEM Learning.
If you have booked in advance of the course being available, you will receive an email to access the course on FutureLearn no later than the course start date.
|State-funded school or college||Activity fee£63.00 +VAT|
|Fee-paying school or college (independent)||Activity fee£81.00 +VAT|
Find out how our Online CPD works and how to make the most of your online professional development.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available