Summer School for ECTs teaching A level NY325 / B21
Starting out to teach A Level for the first time as an ECT can be daunting. This course will support you with developing students' practical skills, as well as dealing with the tricky bits of the A Level curriculum. They will split into chemistry, physics and biology groups, so you will receive two days of intense support within your own subject.
As a participant on the course, you will benefit from both highly experienced A Level teachers and ongoing support beyond the course. We will provide high quality resources for you to use, as well as ample opportunity for you to practice practical and class activities before you head into the lab in September.
This course is complimented by the course NY255 Summer School for ECTs teaching 11-16 science which takes place on dates next to these and also has a separate bursary attached.
Fees include meals and accommodation for the duration of the course in York.
If you are a new or recently qualified teacher but have not yet secured employment in a school, funding may be available to cover the cost of your place. To check availability and eligibility please email email@example.com. Those who are already employed or have a position lined up from September 2022 should enter the school information into the bursary calculator to check the level of bursary available to them.
Who is it for?
What topics are covered?
- Required practical: within your specific subject we look at purposes of the practical, how to maximising learning and give hands on experience.
- Misconceptions: identifying and combatting common misconceptions and how to prevent learners from slipping back into these ideas.
- Subject knowledge: In your specialist science we look at areas where students struggle and aim to build your (and their) confidence.
- Progression: We look at how to progress learning throughout the 2 years and link to the big picture of science.
How will you learn?
How long is this course?
Who is the course leader?
Professional Development Leader, Biology at the National STEM Learning Centre and freelance education consultant. Experienced former Head of...
- understand key misconceptions students may have within their subject
- practice core practical skills required for A Level
- identify ways to engage students with more challenging part of the A level course
- access resources and support to help with their first teaching of A Level science
|Day 3 - Summer School for newly qualified teachers of secondary science (Face to face)||11 August 2022||09:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Day 4 - Summer School for newly qualified teachers of secondary science (Face to face)||11 August 2022||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Day 1 - Summer School for ECTs teaching A level (Face to face)||11 August 2022||11:00-19:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
|Day 2 - Summer School for ECTs teaching A level (Face to face)||12 August 2022||09:00-16:00||National STEM Learning Centre|
Fees & Bursaries
If the course you would like to attend is fully booked, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in being added to a waiting list. We will contact you when the course is due to run again.
Interested in this course?
Sign up to receive our emails to hear about the latest CPD available